Sunday, June 17, 2012

Baba's Baby

The school principal  asked M, 'So I believe your husband is coming'. M, had no clue how the news had spread. She hadn't told anyone. Not really. Someone else had.

That was me. Everytime B came on leave, I made sure that the entire world (those who made my world) knew about it. From school teachers, to neighbours, shopkeepers, the maid's husbands, all my toys, dogs in the street and children in the park. Everyone had to know. After all B was coming. My joy had no bounds.

D and I waited longingly for whenever B came on leave. It was the event of the year. And when that happened, it was like there was a festival happening. Rooms were cleaned, things were arranged to 'show' him and D and I made our own lists of things we had to do when B came and what all we needed to buy, what to get fixed, what shoes and clothes to buy. We always took up most of his time and he also made it a point to spend it with us to the maximum.

There was nothing fancy about it back then, no exotic holiday, no frills, nothing. Just plain family time which we cherished the most. After all, we saw him only when he managed to get leave, from protecting the nation and fighting for it. And obviously it wasn't that easy, for any of us.

So everytime he came, it was 'our day(s)' and his holiday revolved only around us, our wants, needs, fights and the resolving them. On school days, there was a fuss made every now and then, to get permission to bunk, or if that didnt work, to atleast get the pleasure of him dropping us to school or maybe a pick up in the car.

I remember once, as a young child, when I fell very badly ill and was admitted in the hospital. Evidently I was super upset because I hated being stuck to that dirty, sad hospital bed. One day, when M came in, she told me B was coming. At first I didnt believe her, but then, that night, I was shocked to see him right next to me, giving me a tight hug and kiss. I'm not sure what followed, a crying session or a laughing one, but I got better much before it was expected.

B always made things special. He still does. We are the apple(s) of his eyes and can never get anything done without telling him or asking him. Even now, after leaving home, the joy in meeting seeing B can never be met with anything else.

So, today may be Father's Day, officially, but for me, its everyday. Thank you B. For being there and for being you. There is something strange about this relationship, that can never be expressed.


2 comments:

  1. i'm too sentimental to write any comment.proud to be father of you and D.wish you happiness always-B

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheuuu... am sure baba had tears in his eyes... this is great!!! loved it. love u. very much.

    ReplyDelete