Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Ox and Me


There are a lot of times when you do things in sheer stupidity. With another motive, another idea in the head and some other purpose at that point. Just like how you do things when you are initially in love or when you like someone. But this is a different story, not of me being in love, cheekily I claim.
     
Its a story of my desperate attempts of meeting an Ox. Every morning, on my way to 'serving-my-purpose-in-life', I cross an Ox fruit cart. Its basically a beautiful Ox, who leads this fruit cart. This Ox is strong, healthy and very pleasing to look at. The fruits are well laid out on this cart, categorised by their size and colour. The Ox has the most beautiful pair of horns ever. They are hand painted in bright hues and a folk style of art. The ox's eyes are the most gentle ever, not talking of sadness but of experiences.  

My ever growing love for animals especially cows and dogs makes me do stupid things at times. I always want to pet them and touch their noses! So this Sunday morning, when I crossed him again, I made up my mind that I have to, have to meet him. So on my way back from my Early Morning Breakfast (today late though, I take this liberty on sundays) I stopped at the Ox Cart. I tried to stand right next to him, but the Ox owner-cum-fruit vendor made sure I was more interested in his fruits and nothing else. The Ox-owner-cum-fruit vendor didnt look like the kind who tortured Mr Ox or ill-treated him. The healthy body, posture and self righteous attitude made me believe that he was a good man and hence I continued my stop at the Ox fruit cart corner.  So while I acted and actively showed interest in the fruits, from the corner of my eye, I was appreciating and taking in all the beauty of Mr Ox. I bargained and made some claims of him not giving me the best fruit, to waste some time and admire Mr Ox. Sadly he wasn't even close to being interested in anything else (humans especially). What a pity! 

I paid up for my purchases, extremely tempted to ask about Mr Ox's name, but stopped myself from doing so. Beaming with a naughty smile, I told myself that not knowing his name would only enable me to come again and meet him!
Ah, now this does sound like a love story!

We live in a society and culture that on one side has pride in well lit and bright supermarkets with fair price claims, and on the other hand there are these animal fruits and vegetable carts, that may sound archaic and folky, but speak volumes of how we as Indians, try and put everything to its best use, in a sustainable and healthy form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment