Monday, December 26, 2011

Sunday Market Pleasures

Ahmedabad is famous for its bridges that connects the Old City to the New City. There are 6 major bridges in the city, named after famous personalities. One of them is the Ellis Bridge, which very well designed and it also happens to be famous for the Sunday Market that is laid out under it, every sunday (duh!)

The Sunday Market is an experience. One of a kind. Early morning shops are setup and vendors call out to their customers selling almost anything imaginable under the sun. Clothes (mostly second hand, washed ones), utensils, speakers, old books and magazines, tools, cycle spare parts, strange and not easily found antique items, birds in cages, goats, stationery items, rat catchers, baskets and what not! The rates are also very reasonable and there is scope for bargaining. The market closes at sunset.

I have been wanting to visit this place for a long time and finally found the time and opportunity, this sunday. I reached the Ellis Bridge to find it super duper crowded. I was warned by a kind man to be careful of my wallet and belongings, should I be victim to the pickpocket vultures in the market.

All guns blazing, I squirmed my way through the narrow people and animal infested mud road. I took a deep breath and looked around, my eyes lit up to find so many things that I would have never imagined to find in a place like that. I walked around, smiling to myself, clutching my wallet to dear life!

I wanted to buy a few, quirky and exciting things that I may not be able to get on a regular day. After walking around, inspecting the area, looking at prospective purchases, here's what all I bought:

1. A tool for gardening, also called Khurpi in Hindi. (Rs 15)
2. A cycle air pump (Rs 80)
3. A Political Map of India, in Gujarati (Rs 10)
4. A slate and some colourful chalk (Rs 15)
5. A stand to keep my teacups (Rs 40)

I was mighty pleased with my purchases and went out of the market smiling, looking back at it and promising myself that I would come back for things I didn't find this time! 

5 comments:

  1. Nice Shreya! I agree...It's an amazing place...There is so much to explore... It has literally EVERYTHING . Happy buying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)
    Nice one.. and I could clearly anticipate your facial expressions while you were there in the Sunday market... :-)
    btw one question..why KHURPI..??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! This sounds so cool!!
    And incredible buys - slate and coloured chalk for 15 bucks - awesome!!
    Keep up the writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS-Did I tell you that the skin is awesomely made! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Harish, so true, it does have EVERYTHING! Sundays never felt more exciting! Hey Sneha, I have some plants, so I needed a Khurpi for them. :)
    Thanks Pree. You are too good for my ego! :)

    ReplyDelete