Sunday, November 16, 2014

How Many Fingers?


My cousin P, once told me that one should have as many good friends as the number of fingers on your hands. For the longest time I laughed over that statement, convincing myself that one day I would have a huge gang of friends and life would be all rosy and a fun road trip (as depicted in trashy Bollywood movies and over-the-top Hollywood chick flicks). I yearned for that so much and to my surprise, in the 25 years of my life, that didn't happen and well I couldn't be happier.

Over the years, I've made some wonderful friends, some who've stayed and some who've drifted apart. A lot of this has got to do with the fact that I've moved a lot and my friends circle was ever changing. But it's a nice, warm fuzzy feeling when you see friends from 'way back then' to still have been in touch. I think if I had to sit and write down the names of friends I've had in the years gone by, I may actually be able to so (accompanied by a long ream of paper).

It's comforting when you know you have friends and you also to know who are your friends. It's nice to go through the process of making new friends, getting to know them better and then knowing whether they really are your friends or not. Friendship is tricky yet simple. It can make or break everything. But it's equally difficult to let go of friends and/or friendship. Deep down inside I still feel really bad when I think of people who I thought were friends but it didn't work out. That hits really hard! Maybe its a phase-of-life thing. It's equally difficult to start making new friends...something I think we have to do all our lives, but guess it has to be done.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have less friends and more fingers, but that certainly works! I'm ever so grateful to the wonderful ones I have now, I've had in the past and those that I will have in the future...looking forward to seeing you.

Cheers!

Someone else mentioned that same belief as cousin P...looks like it works for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment