Monday, September 6, 2021

My Dearest Dadu: Day 4: Sep 06, 2021

 Okay! I missed two days. Sorry sorry! 
Maybe weekends can be a break? :)

I was telling Soumitra about my Dadu (grandfather) and how much I missed him. My father's dad, and the only grandparent I remember. Oh, he was so progressive from what I remember. Atleast with us kids, don't know about the daughters vs daughter's-in-laws. He used to work at the Excise Department of West Bengal, and all of the glasses in their house were courtesy his job. He was a simple and plain man. I really loved him a lot. As the youngest grandkid, I always was someone he indulged in for and loved to get me things I demanded. Of course, it wasn't easy. I was quite annoying and demanding.

But, I really loved him and miss him so much. After so many years I suddenly remembered him and wonder what he must have felt/thought about us. My parents were very respectful towards him (a lot more than I am to them + in-laws). The house they lived in was small and messy. But something about it made me feel so comforted and welcome. The unorganised kitchen, the random bathroom, the strange smell, all of it makes me so nostalgic, even today. My dadu had his lovely table and chair, which was one of his signature things that I loved. He also put up pictures of the whole family in the living room and that was so heartwarming. He never really shared his pain (obviously not with kids), but there was something about him that I feel moulded my dad and made him who he is. Like discussing important family matters with the family! Or gifting everyone things for festivals or when he met us. Simple things that I think a lot of people seem to miss out on nowadays.

At times I have deep regret- of my choices and where life has brought me. I don't know if I am being punished or it's a test. It just feels really sad. Whatever be the case, for now, I will stay with my Dadu in my thoughts and remember my fond times with him and hope that someday I can have the pleasure of being able to relive some of those moments with my parents (very unlikely).



No comments:

Post a Comment