Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Bicycle Stories

As a kid, I remember one of my first bicycle memories- those with D, and those of her learning it.  She had a red bicycle and I had a cute little one that we both rode in open fields, on the small lanes of a crazy town, she to her school, to meet her friends and to get around the place.

One of the earliest times on a bicycle I remember is the time, when we were coming back from someplace, D and I, with our favourite bhaiya, he was riding the cycle with D at the back and me on a small seat on the handle bar. It so happened that in my curiosity to look at the weel, I put my foot into it and hurt myself. I screamed out, followed with wails and refused to do anything till I was picked up and taken home. I was somehow taken home and created a huge scene there too, till my favourite didi arrived to look at my foot, she cooed and oh ho ed  and just like that the pain went away!

There was this one other time when I was in hospital and D came with all her friends, all on their bicycles, all the way just to meet me. There was so much noise and excitement all around. I loved the gesture they made. M was also there, smiling away.

 I vividly remember another time, when we both had brand new cycles since we had shifted to a new town and we explored around only with our bicycles. This included getting to school on missing the bus, going out to play, running errands for M and even going dressed up foe Birthday Parties. It was always something we did gladly. It so happened that one evening while I was out to play, it began to rain, and we kids had to go home, I was cycling pretty fast, and since the road was muddy, I skid and fell down. I hurt myself and my ego too, since I was in front of everyone. I cried out loudly. and started walking back home, with my cycle and bruises on my knees. Near home, I met D, I looked at her once and started howling. D was talking to a friend of hers, (who I will make a mention of later sometime) saw me and they both rushed towards me. Friend left and D asked me what happened. i didnt stop sobbing, and she hugged me tight and we walked home together. That was one of my worst bicycle falls.

We moved around a lot after that and D hardly rode her cycle, it was passed on to me and the slowly the cycling routine stopped. Until recently, when I decided to buy myself a cycle to commute to the institute and make my life a little easier. Its sheer joy for me to cycle around the place and a lot of times I smile to myself, looking at things around.

Everyday when I cycle, a new memory is created for me, that I want to share with D but cant. Its more probable,  that I want her to come hug me everytime I almost fall and everytime I create a new memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment