Monday, January 9, 2012

How Many States

So I had this sudden idea for a personal project that I was very keen to look into and I thought before I think of any executions, let me find out more about what people know of it.

Here's the thing, I asked people if they knew how many states were there in our country, I say our, assuming they feel a part of this country. I wanted them to answer without using Google or searching for an answer anywhere. I asked a few people, some give me some answers, some fumbled, some gave me correct answers. A lot of them were skeptical about answering, some refused to even try to answer. Some smiled shamelessly and some argued. A few told me they didnt care, a few said, since they were cut all the time and who bothered to keep a track on the number of states.

I was surprised, rather shocked to hear this. I get it that you may not know the answer, but ignorance is something that one could really look into. Isn't it all about respecting the country, no matter where you belong to know and what language you speak. Why are things so regionalistic? I fail to understand how can one not look beyond 'their' territory and be a little more broad minded about things.

Its probably the way I was brought up and the environment we lived in, that we automatically accepted to live with people from alla round and went beyond territories. We enjoyed every moment of whatever we did, and with whomever we did it with. Im not wanting to sound like Im right or what I do is correct, but Im just saying.

Anyway, my point being that the states of India are probably just a number for a lot of people but for me its got to do a lot with my life and my childhood. The project is something I will definitely work on, to try and cut barriers and go beyond borders. It shall be a fun project and Im all kicked about it!

1 comment:

  1. Whats the point? The number of states is going up by the day? There's demand for Telangana, for Saurashtra, for Marathwada...etc etc

    Someday I'd want my own house to be declared a separate state :P

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete