Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Strawberries and Hammers

Strawberries are exotic foods and hammers are men's tools. Thats what I always believed in and always thought I would believe in, until this Sunday.

Its strange how we have certain unsaid opinions about things and its true that we hold them differently for different situations. Strawberries were never a part of fruits we ate on a regular day or something that I even remember eating very often. It was a once in a blue moon thing that we had it with full style at a relatives place, with whipped cream and all that jazz. It felt good whenever we had the opportunity to enjoy this luxury.

Hammers on the other hand, were things we 'girls' never used or rather had to use. There was always a male member to carry out the work or to help out in someway or the other. I never felt the need for it, till recently I had to use a lock to fix a nail into a wall. I felt helpless at the point, without a hammer and having to use the lock, which ended up in hurting myself and see the nail fall off in two seconds after my attempt to fix it.

While I was at my fruit stall to buy my vitamins for the day, I saw the strawberries lying there and decided to buy them, since there was nothing else that I wanted and they seemed to be a pretty reasonable. I left them on top of my fridge when I got back but I just couldnt eat them. This happened for the next two days until I realised, I'd rather eat them now than throw them away feeling worse.

This strange feeling of not wanting to eat them came out of nowhere and I was surprised myself to be even thinking of it that way. I think I felt guilty for buying the 'exotic' fruit and then disliking it.  It was one more of the helpless feelings.

I did get around to eating them and not liking the taste lingering in my mouth, a day after which I decided to buy a hammer for myself , for future use. It may sound random, but I did end up connecting the two events, the link being the fact that I decided to want something I never thought I'd ever want and to do something I thought I'd ever do.

Its something I learnt, about myself. 

1 comment:

  1. you know whats weird, that the past two weeks i have over dozed on strawberries...and it's not even a fruit i fancied that much...no hammer though, just pliars...which i think are very hard to hold, especially when your bending wire...

    this is random. but i like readin your posts!

    ReplyDelete